Wednesday 20 August 2014

BIG HAIR BOOSTERS: TRIED & TESTED





My hair is pretty straight and flat, the end bits tend to get a little frizzy.  I have tried so many products to tame and give it some volume in the past.  In the past year my focus has been on 'the big hair' look, especially around the crown area.  The most recent three products I have tried are worth a little blogging about so here I am....

The 'Oh I needed some volume on the go' - VO5 Give Me Texture Instant Oomph Powder (£4.19) - The cheapest option of the three.  It's ideal to bring it with you on-the-go as it works well styling on dry hair.  Sprinkle as little or as much of these white powder along the roots of the hair and work it in.  You will notice that the powder provides a 'friction' and 'grit' to the hair to create the volume and give it a little oomph.  It doesn't leave any whitecast on your hair so that's a plus point.  However because of the texture of the powder that it gives makes working to the hair a little tricky.  It does give quite impressive volume once styled, however the lasting power isn't all singing and dancing.

The 'natural hair thickening agent' - Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hairspray (£21.5) - One of the most expensive hair thickening agents on the market.  I'm never a Bb fan as I'm often fazed by the price tag that comes with every product.  I adopted this little baby from my sister (@forksandbrushes).  I have to say I'm impressed by it.  This is sprayed onto damp or wet hair.  The best result is that if you spray it to the roots of your hair by section, and at where your hair needed the most volume.  For me it's the crown of my head.  After spraying, styling as usual but I would concentrate on giving where the area has been sprayed a bit more heat than the rest of the head.  Something quite magical would gradually form, I noticed my hair would slightly thicken and it stayed put fairly well.  Of course, it collapses after a couple of hours but as would other volumising products I have tried.  If you have spare cash and want to splurge on a little bit, I would recommend this.

The 'pro salon-feel-like hair thickening product' - Head & Shoulders Extra Thickening Treatment (£9.99).  The newest hair thickening product kid in town that I tried.  I am currently using this with the Head and Shoulders Thick and Strong Shampoo and Conditioner.  You get the hint, I'm seriously working some volume to my hair.  I feel like this product has won my heart both in terms of application and end result. Similar to the Bb thickening spray, it's used on wet/ damp hair. I spray this onto the roots of my hair by sections, repeat in areas where it needs more thickening agent. My scalp would then feel a slight tingly sensation after around 30sec of application, but don't worry it doesn't hurt your scalp at all.  However it's worth doing a skin test prior using it just in case if you are allergic to this product. This made me feel like it really is working its magic to my hair. Then I would style it as usual. My hair does look like as if it's been thickened slightly. Again the result isn't "dramatic" but definitely looks natural enough! The lasting power is better than the Bb thickening spray. I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that I also team it up with the thickening shampoo and conditioner but nevertheless, for £9.99 I think it's easily the best and most effective product on the market.

Do you share the same problem with me that you are always looking for that bit of oomph to your hair? Have you tried any of the above? What's your hair thickening routine?




No comments:

Post a Comment