Sunday 24 November 2013

Conceal to perfection? In depth review of 6 concealers


Perhaps it's because of my favourite festival coming up real soon - Christmas, that's why these days my thoughts have turned more to giving a good base for my skin before adding any colours (eye shadows, blush, etc.).  So I decided to take a stock-take on all the concealers that I currently own, and my collection has definitely grown in the past year.



My skin condition overall is good in general.  There is an occasion blemishes here and there, some freckles round the cheekbones area, and a pair of light dark circle.  Other than that, I don't think it's too bad.  However, as my expectation to give a flawless finish to my total look has risen, aside from wearing a good primer which I've found my holy grail product - Becca Resurfacing Primer which you can click here for my review on it.  I also like wearing a light foundation, such as Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum or Chanel Vitalumiere are my favourites and I reach for the most.  I am also on the hunt for a good tinted moisturiser, too - will keep you guys posted when I get there!

Concealing becomes my last step to a flawless base and I have tried a few and here's systematic review on my collection.

Top Row: Laura Mercier Undercover Pot/ e.l.f. stick concealer/ Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer
Bottom Row: Rimmel Match Perfection 2in1 Concealer & Highlighter/ e.l.f. Zit Zapping Concealer/ Bourjois Touche healthy mix brush concealer

1. In order of my preference:

  1. Rimmel Match Perfection 2 in 1 Concealer & Highlighter
  2. e.l.f. Stick Concealer
  3. Laura Mercier Undercover Pot
  4. Bourjois Touche Healthy Mix Brush Concealer
  5. Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer
  6. e.l.f. Zit Zapping Concealer
2. What are their textures like?

Rimmel Match Perfection 2 in 1 Concealer & Highlighter
  • It is light weight and creamy.
e.l.f. Stick Concealer
  • It is a stick concealer so the texture is not creamy nor runny but easy to smooth out on the face
Laura Mercier Undercover Pot
  • One side is for concealing spots which is thicker in texture
  • The other side is for concealing the under eye areas which is much more creamy in texture
Bourjois Touche Healthy Mix Brush Concealer
  • It is light weight and creamy, very similar to the Rimmel Match Perfection
Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer
  • Quite thick and creamy
e.l.f. Zit Zapping Concealer
  • Creamy and quite thick
3. In order of effectiveness:
On blemishes/ spots/ darkness
  1. e.l.f. stick concealer
  2. Laura Mercier Undercover pot
  3. Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer

Under eye areas
  1. Rimmel Match Perfection 2 in 1 Concealer & Highlighter (this covers faded marks quite well too)
  2. Bourjois Touche Healthy Mix Brush Concealer
  3. Laura Mercier Undercover pot
P.S. I can't continue to use my e.l.f. Zit Zapping Concealer because the shade (Fair) I got is too light for me.  It's a shame because it helps to fight and prevent acne with the unique blend of Salicylic Acid and Tea tree.  It does smell of tea tree which seems quite reassuring to use.

5. In order of lasting power

  1. Laura Mercier Undercover pot (It contains a third compartment with powder to set the concealer)
  2. Rimmel Match Perfection 2in1 Concealer & Highlighter
  3. e.l.f. stick concealer
  4. Collection Lasting Perfection concealer
  5. Bourjois Touche healthy mix brush concealer

6. In order of affordability (Most expensive to least expensive)
  1. Laura Mercier Undercover Pot £29
  2. Bourjois Touche Healthy Mix Brush Concealer £8.49
  3. Rimmel Match Perfection 2in1 Concealer & Highlighter £5.99
  4. Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer £4.19
  5. e.l.f. Stick Concealer £3.75
  6. e.l.f. Zit Zapping Concealer £2.50

I normally use two concealers - Laura Mercier Undercover Pot is my go-to concealer most days and I would always bring my Rimmel Match Perfection with me whenever I'm on-the-go to do any touch up.  You can also see that I've hit pan on the Laura Mercier Undercover Pot for one of the concealers.  I'll definitely use them all up but I'm probably not going to repurchase again, purely because of the price (although it's lasting me for over 6 months now so that's really impressive considering I use it daily).  However there are other concealers which are at least 3 times cheaper but can provide a similar result.  Under this current economic climate, I think I'd stick with my drugstore concealers.

What about you?  What's your favourite concealer?  Have you tried any of these before?

No comments:

Post a Comment